Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Book Review - The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

Just finished this book like ten minutes ago, and wow. It was really, really good. (I'm not quite on an I LOVE THIS BOOK SO STINKING MUCH level, but it really was great.)

The genre was Sci-Fi, and it's set in a futuristic-type world with a mostly Mexican or New Mexican setting feel. I didn't really pay attention to SPECIFICS and such, because I rarely do and prefer the feel of something rather than THIS IS FUTURISTIC MEXICO, THE UNITED STATES HAS FALLEN, LOOK THERE'S A NEW COUNTRY. (That's actually sorta...what it is. But not really. So never mind.)

To put it simply, it's a story about a Clone and his adventures. Though it's not quite as random as that sounds. It's a story about a Clone and his...life, basically. It was just really cool with a rather uncomplicated (mildly predictable) plot line and lots of enjoyable characters.

Matt, Celia, Maria, Tam Lin. They were all just great and felt really human.

It's sort of hard for me to distinguish pros and cons of it, really. It's YA, so there was some language, but nothing really all that bad, the plot was cool, the writing was actually probably my favorite part, to be honest. I loved the way it was written. I dunno. The prose was really yummy and foamy.

All in all, if you want a book that:

A - Will capture your attention
B - Will not leave you feeling drained or feeling like the world has ended because it's over
C - Has fun characters and good prose

Then this is a book for you and I'd certainly give it a rec. It was really enjoyable.

As for writing news, I am going to be WORLD  BUILDING today and tomorrow. Huzzah. Because I only have until Monday to plan my NaNo. Because Monday I get to start Other Worlds.

In other words: This NaNo, which was supposed to be totally planned out and brilliant, is instead going to be pantsed.

Fun stuff.

That is all,
~Tiffaniey

No comments:

Post a Comment